Dual Speed Motor

D

Deleted member 4366

It was mentioned on ES a couple of months ago. Who's going to be first to try one?

D

Deleted member 4366

I can't find it now. The post on ES didn't have any details. It was in reply to a guy asking about 2-speed motors. Links were given to the Xiongda and the Sram one.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I can't find it now. The post on ES didn't have any details. It was in reply to a guy asking about 2-speed motors. Links were given to the Xiongda and the Sram one.
Thanks for the extra info you messaged me to help find the original post.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I asked Xiongda. The system has two gear ratios, 4. something and 8. something. The controller is specially programmed to switch between the two ratios. You have to buy the whole kit from them, you can pay with paypal.
Xiongda said the design is their own invention and of course patented but I could not locate their patent. Anyhow, I don't think the system is perfect.
It does give hub motor twice the torque for climbing hill but at half the speed.
The controller cuts out the motor for a couple of seconds while switching the gears.
For a motor to climb 10% hill at full 15mph, you'll need 900W power and high discharge battery. The XD motor can give about 600W maximum, not quite enough. Their controller is rated 15A. You can't use your own controller.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These two gear systems have been slow to arrive. Years ago in here I wondered why no-one had used the epicyclic in two speed fashion. Auto two-speed finally appeared from SRAM with their E-matic hub motor a year or so back, but that only had a single rear chain sprocket.

I hope this new one is adopted and successful since such a system makes so much sense with limited power.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the system is very effective to electrify fixies, the gear change is automatic or manual with a small 3 position switch (Low/High/Auto) but I can't see it adopted beyond those. The kit costs just as much as an 8-Fun BPM kit. The XD motor is available for front wheel and rear wheel.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
the system is very effective to electrify fixies, the gear change is automatic or manual with a small 3 position switch (Low/High/Auto) but I can't see it adopted beyond those. The kit costs just as much as an 8-Fun BPM kit. The XD motor is available for front wheel and rear wheel.
It would allow legal hubs to climb steep hills, I haven't tried the 8-fun hubs but unless a legal one can climb at least a 15% preferably steeper with little rider input I can see a roll for the 2 speed hub as the climbing would be slower but would get the job done. for those that like to or can hammer up hills it would be a closer match to normal human speed giving the motor a much easier life on long inclines.

Reactions: flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
it's a double edged sword. You have one and a half planetary gearbox - so one and a half chance of something will jam or break.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
From closer investigation of the site they seem to be implying the the gearshifting is done by the freewheel clutch.

I wonder if it has 2 freewheels inside and they do the gearshifting by reversing the motor hence the time delay.

In high speed mode it turns 3 large planetary gears and engages its own high speed freewheel while the other freewheel on the low speed drive chain is disengaged.

In low speed it reverses the motor direction and drives 2 sets (1 acting as an idler the other the drive) of 3 smaller planetary gears to maintain forward hub direction and engages its own low speed freewheel while the other freewheel on the high speed drive chain is disengaged.

I am sure that this system has been mentioned before.

I can't see how they can do it electronically inside the hub as all the 9 input cables have been allocated as they offer hall sensors and speed sensor options.

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you could be right.
I've been looking for the patent by curiousity to find out how they did it.
The kit has Kun Teng LCD but not a magnet like the King Meter.
Cost: $200 (26" wheel laced to motor, controller, cables, brake handles and PAS sensor) + courier if you want to find out.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Hi trex,

Not a bad price they have quoted, is that for a sample?

The automatic switching function I suppose could be controlled by sampling the hub speed and current draw and programming in a switch point in the controller when the handlebar switch is placed in the open circuit position.

I don't have any real interest being only interested in small wheeled folders, only a curiosity like you.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
yes. $198 one off ex works.
I can buy a BPM kit for about the same money, without being restricted to the 15A controller.
If they make the controller go up to 25A, I'd buy one.