Bafang BBS01 250watt kit - programme settings please?

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
Hi, I have a BBS01 350 watt kit and a programming lead but don't have the know how to adjust it to make it run within legal restrictions, can anyone help? Does anyone have a 250watt kit and a programming lead and could tell me the settings?

I cannot handle really technical info so please please try to speak as simply as possible, I have attempted to get my head round this once before and gave up from there being too many variables and risks, I am hoping there is a simple way to take down the wattage and replicating the 250watt kit...hoping...

many thanks

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Two things first, does it have a manufacturer's plate on the bottom of the motor unit, stating it's 350 watt?

Also, does the motor assist you beyond 15mph?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
just throw your leg over and ride on!

250-350, so what,

who`s gonna measure it anyhow, with what??
Reason why I'm asking if the plate shows 350w on it, plus if it assists above 15mph.

They do matter I'm afraid, both easily measurable ;)

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Top assist speed is easy to check. So is a label saying 350 watts. Actual power is very variable.
Other than that it's fill your boots time.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
  • Useful
D

Deleted member 4366

Hi, I have a BBS01 350 watt kit and a programming lead but don't have the know how to adjust it to make it run within legal restrictions, can anyone help? Does anyone have a 250watt kit and a programming lead and could tell me the settings?

I cannot handle really technical info so please please try to speak as simply as possible, I have attempted to get my head round this once before and gave up from there being too many variables and risks, I am hoping there is a simple way to take down the wattage and replicating the 250watt kit...hoping...

many thanks
You can't program it to be legal when it's not, so leave it as it is. if it really worries you, set the speed to 25 km/h in the LCD.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You can't program it to be legal when it's not, so leave it as it is. if it really worries you, set the speed to 25 km/h in the LCD.
I was under the impression that the 350w had the same mechanicals and controller as the 250w, only programmed to 18A and not 15A. So in theory, can be programmed to be within legal parameters.

Could be wrong though.

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I was under the impression that the 350w had the same mechanicals and controller as the 250w, only programmed to 18A and not 15A. So in theory, can be programmed to be within legal parameters.

Could be wrong though.
It could be,but the law says it's the manufacturer power rating that counts.
They both do over 250 watts. But one has a legal badge.
Speed wise 25kph is simple to set. And gives good range too

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
It could be,but the law says it's the manufacturer power rating that counts.
They both do over 250 watts. But one has a legal badge.
Speed wise 25kph is simple to set. And gives good range too
But if it's the same mechanically and has the same controller, programming to 250w specs, plus removing 350w marking and replacing with 250w plate, should in theory make it identical to a 250w version.

The other Dave will be along soon to blow my theory out of the water :p

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
If your cheating then just do the plate, and speed. A 250 with the current upped is still legal. And who could test for it?
Will D8veh become a prosecution legal expert?
He checked the bikes before the hill climb in Bristol and some still argued.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike
D

Deleted member 4366

But if it's the same mechanically and has the same controller, programming to 250w specs, plus removing 350w marking and replacing with 250w plate, should in theory make it identical to a 250w version.

The other Dave will be along soon to blow my theory out of the water :p
You can't apply logic. What's legal depends on the regulations. You cannot use a motor marked 350w legally - even if you programmed it down to 10w. The regulation limits the motor based on it's rated power, not it's actual power. The label on the motor shows its rated power.

A clever lawyer might be able to make a strong case that all Bosch motors are illegal when it turns out that the construction and components in the 250w one are identical to the 350w one.

On the other hand, a good lawyer could argue the other way that if Bosch are allowed to use the 350w motor as a 250w one, then so can you.

In spite of all that, nobody is checking. I reckon that as long as you limit speed to 25 km/h, nobody should be bothered.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You can't apply logic. What's legal depends on the regulations. You cannot use a motor marked 350w legally - even if you programmed it down to 10w. The regulation limits the motor based on it's rated power, not it's actual power. The label on the motor shows its rated power.

A clever lawyer might be able to make a strong case that all Bosch motors are illegal when it turns out that the construction and components in the 250w one are identical to the 350w one.

On the other hand, a good lawyer could argue the other way that if Bosch are allowed to use the 350w motor as a 250w one, then so can you.

In spite of all that, nobody is checking. I reckon that as long as you limit speed to 25 km/h, nobody should be bothered.
Totally agree Dave, I think if the '3' were to mysteriously turn into a '2', and the assist cut-off set at 15mph, then that would satisfy 99% of inspections.

If the bike stops assisting at 15mph, then I don't think they would have the know-how, equipment, or inclination to test any further. They would probably overlook any issues with the power rating plate.

It's all greyer than 50 shades :D

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016

my issue is around getting insurance, and getting legal representation if i did have an incident and my motor was checked, I have ground the 350 off the casing but wondering where else it will be marked if it did come to court...

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
my issue is around getting insurance, and getting legal representation if i did have an incident and my motor was checked, I have ground the 350 off the casing but wondering where else it will be marked if it did come to court...
or if it would be possible to check the output, but if like you say its that rating not the actual power that counts then I guess its just abou whether the 350 is marked anywhere inside the motor...

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016

the pedal assist stops at 15mph

sylkie

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2016
thanks for the input, I want to be able to get insurance and be confident that it will not be void so can anyone say for sure that limiting the pedal assist to max 15mph and getting rid of the 350watt on the bottom will give me that?

Advertisers