McLaren Unleashes Most Powerful (Legal) e-Mountain Bike Ever

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Sadly not legal in the UK. (But nice none the less).

If I had that kind of money and the restrictions didn't exist I would probably go for something in the Optibike range

TTFN
John.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
While content with my motor and I have yet to ask more than it can deliver i have been speculating as to what would be the torque-iest motor available.. and 'legal'

Especially with the talk of allowing 500w rated motors recently too

Those Heinzmann 250w offerings however negate the need for any changes tho, but my google-foo failed when browsing for a uk distributor to us minions..

The £420 200w hub(£1200 kit) with 53Nm of torque and pedal free climbing of a 15% slope available here https://www.electricmountainbikes.com/ is also pretty impressive!! a Heinzmann pedelec motor/kit.
3. 870-00-753-1122
Top speed 15 mph, 53 Newton meters, 33Amps Max, 200watts (s1 continuous), 15% Hill climbing without pedaling.
circa 55% down this page..
is all i found .. ;(
not needed at all but would be nice to know where to source the good stuff ;)

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Battery in pannier bag is a really bad idea (also extremely expensive).

If you want very powerful and legal motor, buy from Woosh. He is selling relabeled 750W motors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: thelarkbox

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Battery in pannier bag is a really bad idea (also extremely expensive).

If you want very powerful and legal motor, buy from Woosh. He is selling relabeled 750W motors.
Cheers, while i have no need or current want, its certainly nice to know for if/when a need arises ;)

If 'the only shop in town' i might have been tempted by the motor alone but not the kits on offer no no no..
I only included the links to qualify the claims made for the '200w' motor..

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
@Az. do you know the max current setting for the 48v TSDZ8 from Woosh ?
Andy told me they ship motors set to 16A as far as I remember.

TSDZ8 has 23A controller, so there is a lot of room above 16A. I don't know if you can alter it as I don't have battery yet.
I expect 16A is more than I need really.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
While content with my motor and I have yet to ask more than it can deliver i have been speculating as to what would be the torque-iest motor available.. and 'legal'

Especially with the talk of allowing 500w rated motors recently too

Those Heinzmann 250w offerings however negate the need for any changes tho, but my google-foo failed when browsing for a uk distributor to us minions..

The £420 200w hub(£1200 kit) with 53Nm of torque and pedal free climbing of a 15% slope available here https://www.electricmountainbikes.com/ is also pretty impressive!! a Heinzmann pedelec motor/kit.

circa 55% down this page..
is all i found .. ;(
If you want torque, all you need is to lower the gearing with a crank motor. Going from a common 11/28 cassette with a 44T chainring to 11/42 10-speed with 32T chainring would more than double the torque in bottom gear.

Torque alone is not enough. You need power too. A crank motor taking 750w (15A and 48v) could climb just about any hill on a road with a 100kg rider pedalling not too hard, or a low speed hub-motor with 25A at 48v could do it without pedalling.

Reactions: thelarkbox and Az.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
While not taking into account motor efficiency, to produce 161Nm at 80rpm, that bike's 48V controller would need to be drawing a little over 28A. I think.

Last edited: