De-restrict Mycle Cargo Bike - possible?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It depends on the display and the variant /type used.

If the display lets you change the speed setting then probably by 2 or 3 mph.
One will have to depress the up/down pads for 10 secs to see if it goes into the settings mode (but make sure you don't change any settings without knowing what they are for.)

Last edited:

benben

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2024
This is the LCD screen but i’m not sure what the controller unit is. I’ve asked Mycle to send a photo and confirm the model but in the meantime will this help?

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is the LCD screen but i’m not sure what the controller unit is. I’ve asked Mycle to send a photo and confirm the model but in the meantime will this help?
It's either a KD21 display or a GD01. Did you try the settings in the manual?

benben

May 5, 2024
thanks. i don’t think it will allow me to de-restrict it as it’s an UK law for it to be limited. I think i need a kit or something that will plug in and override the controller.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
thanks. i don’t think it will allow me to de-restrict it as it’s an UK law for it to be limited. I think i need a kit or something that will plug in and override the controller.
Don't think - just try it!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As with quite a few EAPC's it is using a Lishui system, one should be able to adjust basic settings by depressing the pads /buttons simultaneously as mentioned .
Lishui systems are factory /dealer set up but one will be able to get in to the basic settings to change parameters like odo, speed, wheel size and time.

benben

May 5, 2024
thanks for all of this guys.
i had a eggrider installed today which has unlocked full power!
mycle told me over email that it has a 500w motor but it’s restricted to 250w. does anyone know if it actually is 500w?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
thanks for all of this guys.
i had a eggrider installed today which has unlocked full power!
mycle told me over email that it has a 500w motor but it’s restricted to 250w. does anyone know if it actually is 500w?
Motors don't have power. They're transducers that convert electrical energy into motive energy. It's the controller that decides how much power the motor will get. How much motive power it converts it to depends on how fast you're going. The faster you go, the more efficient it becomes.

If a motor has a rating stamped on it, like 250w, it's for regulations, and nothing to do with how much power it gives or can handle, except that it's guaranteed to handle that rating, when under optimum conditions.

In the UK, the motor or bike must be marked 250w or lower to be legal. If the motor is marked 500w, it is per se illegal. There's nothing you can do by restricting it to make it legal. If it can produce 1000w and is stamped 250w by the manufacturer, it's legal. Obviously, you bike becomes illegal when it produces power above 17 mph (15mph + 10%).

Letting a hub-motor run faster is always better for it, regardless of its rating.