G51 controller ( Pedal Assist not working )

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
my pedal assist has stopped working, would anyone have any ideas, what to check for. I know its down at the pedals the wire seems ok, but have not as yet removed to check, I have a slight feeling I may have turned it off by mistake in the G51 display settings but cant remember what setting it is now

any help is most appreciated,

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
P10 =2 is the setting for pedal assist plus throttle, P10=0 is pedal assist only and p10 =1 is throttle only.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
P10 =2 is the setting for pedal assist plus throttle, P10=0 is pedal assist only and p10 =1 is throttle only.

Hi saneagle thanks for replying, But my P10 is on 2

Also watched this video, but he says about P18 my g51 display only go up to P16

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Have you at all knocked the Bottom bracket area, has the chain come off at all or the bike fallen over ?
There is a possibility that the magnet disc or sensor has been moved so you will need to check the alignment of both.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Have you at all knocked the Bottom bracket area, has the chain come off at all or the bike fallen over ?
There is a possibility that the magnet disc or sensor has been moved so you will need to check the alignment of both.
Hi Nealth thanks for replying

No none of the above what you said has happened. Yes I was thinking its something to do with the sensor etc. But my G51 controller display only goes up to P16 how comes on that video what I posted he says P18

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Displays may have differing firmware for differing markets.
P17 - P19 are unnecessary modes and are all about using cruise control mode with the throttle.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Oh I see never knew that, anyway I will have to check the sensor, next week sometime. I believe you need some sort of tool to remove pedal arm, Im sure i have one of those somewhere. cant think what its called now

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Oh I see never knew that, anyway I will have to check the sensor, next week sometime. I believe you need some sort of tool to remove pedal arm, Im sure i have one of those somewhere. cant think what its called now
Is it working with the throttle and/or walk assist?

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Is it working with the throttle and/or walk assist?

How do you mean with throttle, as if i use throttle which works fine, I dont need to pedal, But if i do pedal when on throttle, yes it seems easy. whats walk assist for, as never used or know how to use that

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
How do you mean with throttle, as if i use throttle which works fine, I dont need to pedal, But if i do pedal when on throttle, yes it seems easy. whats walk assist for, as never used or know how to use that
That's not very clear. Does it go when you operate the throttle - yes or no?
Walk assist is normally press and hold the up button.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
That's not very clear. Does it go when you operate the throttle - yes or no?
Walk assist is normally press and hold the up button.
When you say does it go, when i use throttle IE: Pedal asssist. I cant say as obvious when I use the throttle, I dont need to pedal. But like i have said if I try to pedal at same time as Im on throttle, yes its easier then on pedals, as I am on throttle. hope that explains it ok

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Walk assist is just that , press up pad/button and motor will walk you along at 6kmh.
Throttle and pedal assist aren't the same .
P10/2 is the correct setting for a true EAPC with throttle that works only if you pedal first.
If walk assist and throttle work then there is simply a PAS issue , either alignment isn't correct or may be a setting issue if one has gone in to the display menu.
Either way if throttle works and walk assist works then the issue is a PAS issue , no need to remove PAS just visually check the sensor and magnet are aligned and aprrox. 1mm gap.
Also check the disc is firmly inplace, if fitted on the BB axle then make sure it doesn't turn on it's axis by hand .

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

No none of the above what you said has happened. Yes I was thinking its something to do with the sensor etc. But my G51 controller display only goes up to P16 how comes on that video what I posted he says P18
One G51 manual I have seen has a P19 , so it is dependant on the market continent and firmware version.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Have you made any changes at all in the settings or in error ?
Go into the settings and show us the value of each P setting.
For instance P13 is critical if the pole count value has been changed.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Walk assist is just that , press up pad/button and motor will walk you along at 6kmh.
Throttle and pedal assist aren't the same .
P10/2 is the correct setting for a true EAPC with throttle that works only if you pedal first.
If walk assist and throttle work then there is simply a PAS issue , either alignment isn't correct or may be a setting issue if one has gone in to the display menu.
Either way if throttle works and walk assist works then the issue is a PAS issue , no need to remove PAS just visually check the sensor and magnet are aligned and aprrox. 1mm gap.
Also check the disc is firmly inplace, if fitted on the BB axle then make sure it doesn't turn on it's axis by hand .
when you say
Yes P10 is set on 2, but I dont need to pedal to make throttle work, as I can just go off from o on throttle no need to pedal

I think it shows 000.12 on P13

I was given this info from someone on here ages back now, and right at the very bottom it says if I need more power for hill climbing set P14 to higher, and Yes it is a hard struggle up a steep hill. so mine says now 000.20 so whats best number to set it at

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
P14 is the controller current range it is 12 - 20a so you have yours set for 20a current draw from the battery.

Your P9 likely overides the P10 setting then, one expects you have P9/0 instead of P9/1.

For P10 /2 to be legal , P9/1 is the correct setting . Then one has to pedal first for throttle to work .
A twist and go throttle that actuates without pedalling isn't legal without v5 certification.

This is the setting mode for PAS/Throttle use form the G51 manual.
P09 .
Zero start & Non-zero Start. 0 is Zero Start, 1 is Non-zero Start.

P10 Driving mode.
0: driven by PAS. Throttle is useless at this time.
1: driven by Throttle. PAS is useless at this time.
2: driven by PAS & Throttle. Throttle is useless at Zero Start status.

Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Have you made any changes at all in the settings or in error ?
Go into the settings and show us the value of each P setting.
For instance P13 is critical if the pole count value has been changed.
I cannot recal making any changes in settings, but will check them here are most Programs, some are not showing anything, some are faded but can just see them

IMG_8200.jpgIMG_8201.jpgIMG_8202.jpgIMG_8203.jpgIMG_8204.jpgIMG_8205.jpgIMG_8206.jpgIMG_8207.jpgIMG_8208.jpgIMG_8209.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Non zero start means you have a twist and go active throttle always.
Zero means it is active only when pedalling or have actuated the pedals first.

Last edited: