Wisper 806 SE, battery

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Hello.

I'm pondering whether to buy a used Wisper 806 SE that someone is selling. It needs a new battery, but the seller has said that everything else is working. A new battery for this bike is costly. I'm wondering if an alternative option is to look for a compatible third party / generic battery. Would this be an option, and if so, is there something specific that anyone can suggest? Many thanks guys, appreciated :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It'll work with any 36v battery that you can find a way to fit. The battery is only connected by two simple wires to the controller. Just make sure that you do it safely and make sure that the battery is secure and the wires are well protected and don't rub on anything.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh and John_S

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Factor the cost of a replacement battery in to the bike selling price.

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks for your responses. I purchased the bike and an 18ah battery, the latter from AliExpress. I've read that the Wisper 806 SE has a lower-torque motor than the Wisper 806 Torque. I live in a hilly area and need a high-torque motor. Anyone know if it might be an option to swap the motor on my SE bike with a motor from the Torque model, whilst keeping everything else (i.e. cadence mode of power delivery) the same? Cheers

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for your responses. I purchased the bike and an 18ah battery, the latter from AliExpress. I've read that the Wisper 806 SE has a lower-torque motor than the Wisper 806 Torque. I live in a hilly area and need a high-torque motor. Anyone know if it might be an option to swap the motor on my SE bike with a motor from the Torque model, whilst keeping everything else (i.e. cadence mode of power delivery) the same? Cheers
Both have exactly the same motor and Carly the same torque.

All the best, David

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
Both have exactly the same motor and Carly the same torque.

All the best, David
Thanks Wisper / David for your reply.
Just to clarify, you're saying they have exactly the same torque?
The bike I have might be a few years old (not sure, but potentially as much as five). Would it still have been the same motor on the two 806 models at that time? I only ask because I'm fairly sure I saw a post from a few years ago by a Wisper representative on here saying the Torque model had a higher-torque motor.
Cheers. John

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The torque comes from the current, so if you want more torque, get a higher current controller, or you can solder the shunt to increase the current, which would be a good option if the present current is 15 amps or less.

It's a shame you didn't mention that before you got the battery, because it would have been better to get a 48v one and a new 48v controller.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Wisper / David for your reply.
Just to clarify, you're saying they have exactly the same torque?
The bike I have might be a few years old (not sure, but potentially as much as five). Would it still have been the same motor on the two 806 models at that time? I only ask because I'm fairly sure I saw a post from a few years ago by a Wisper representative on here saying the Torque model had a higher-torque motor.
Cheers. John
Hi John,

Without knowing which version of the 806 you have it’s difficult to tell. We have changed the motor and controller several times during the 806’s 10 year history. As a rule though we use the same motor on both models and the controller output in terms of current is the same.

All the best, David

John_S

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2013
The torque comes from the current, so if you want more torque, get a higher current controller, or you can solder the shunt to increase the current, which would be a good option if the present current is 15 amps or less.

It's a shame you didn't mention that before you got the battery, because it would have been better to get a 48v one and a new 48v controller.
I understand about the current, but I also gather that there are other variables too that make some motors inherently more suitable for hill climbing than others. The old Bafang BPM motor (which I have one of in storage) was regarded as exceptionally good for managing the hills, for instance.

I'd prefer not to change the voltage of the Wisper bike, as I think 48V would make the bike's default speed too fast (33% faster, AFAIK), and above the legal limit.

Hi John,

Without knowing which version of the 806 you have it’s difficult to tell. We have changed the motor and controller several times during the 806’s 10 year history. As a rule though we use the same motor on both models and the controller output in terms of current is the same.

All the best, David
My bike was bought by the original owner in October 2021. Older official descriptions that I've seen of the Wisper 806 describe the SE version's motor as "high torque" but the Torque version's motor as "ultra high torque". I think my bike is a later one than the point in time when this distinction was being made, although I cannot be sure. Either way, I don't doubt that the bike has a good motor.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I understand about the current, but I also gather that there are other variables too that make some motors inherently more suitable for hill climbing than others. The old Bafang BPM motor (which I have one of in storage) was regarded as exceptionally good for managing the hills, for instance.
Suitable for climbing doesn't mean able to climb. The Bafang BPM climbs strongly if you give it a lot of current. It's suitable for 30 amps at 36v, but if you give it 15 amps, it'll climb the same as your Wisper.

The winding speed does affect the climbing a bit. Slow winds always feel like they climb better because they're more efficient at low speed. Also, the internal reduction ratio makes a difference because it's simply a question of mechanical advantage, where you trade speed for torque, though you can get the same effect by using a smaller wheel.